Monday 16 May 2016

Light Painting

Light painting is a form of photography that utilizes the slow shutter speed setting on a camera to allow a light source to move around and create interesting shapes. Typically the shapes 'painted' are made by someone holding a light source (e.g. a torch/ bulb) and moving it around within the frame to create motion blur.




When creating my own light painting I set up my camera in the dark to a 30 second slow shutter speed, set it to the large aperture number (creating a smaller hole) to make the image darker, and then adjusted the ISO settings so that the images turned out dark but not pitch black. I then used an LED torch to move around and make trails of light, Here are my results. 






I feel that these turned out to look good, although one of my disliked parts of these images is the very bright smudges where the torch was way too bright. In some of the images I managed to capture bokeh that both looked good and added a surreal look to them. 

Contact Sheet:


No comments:

Post a Comment