Tuesday 10 May 2016

Harold Edgerton Emulation

For my Harold Edgerton emulation I wanted to take photos of a hammer hitting an object that would break/shatter on impact. For this I chose to use ice cubes as these have a rather fragile structure and would also shatter like glass in different directions, giving the image a much more dynamic explosion. I began by setting up the camera outside in the sunlight, as the outdoor lighting conditions were perfect for using a fast shutter speed. I set the camera to its fastest shutter speed, lowered the aperture number as to let more light into the lens, and changed the ISO to its highest setting. Once I had the correct exposure and shutter speed on the camera  I began to take photos as a helper smashed the ice with a hammer. Here are my results.










I feel that these images have been rather successful and show the impact of the hammer frozen in time. One of the only bad points about these images is that they do suffer from lots of noise, this is due to my use of a very high ISO.

Contact sheet:


No comments:

Post a Comment